Saturday, March 22, 2014

Thought's on...Season Two

Source
I would first like to say that Season Two of the show had the best trailer to get me excited for things to come. You can watch it here. It actually gave me chills with the amazing music from Florence + the Machine (Seven Devils) plus the fantastic dialogue that they chose to put in. This season is based on Clash of Kings, which is aptly titled due to the large amount of conflicts and battles that happen in the story.

We get introduced to many more characters and situations that arise in the story. I would say some of the key moments would be Theon's betrayal, the death of Renly Baratheon, the riot in King's Landing, the introduction of Stannis' rule, Jaime's capture/release, the Battle of the Blackwater and Jon's situation in the North. I didn't add Dany's story because I personally felt it was weak and made her look weak (her loss of dragons never happened in the books). I feel that for both book readers and the Unsullied, this was a weaker season than the first, as it was hard to top the shocker of Ned's death and the surprising birth of the dragons. I will say that Blackwater was the best episode of the season and was finely acted and directed. I also like Valar Morghulis as it serves as nice falling action after the battle and sets up for the craziness of Season 3.

The thing I did like about Season 2, was the growth of all of the characters that we had met in Season 1. Robb turns from a boy to a king, Stannis takes control and much more.It was interesting that there was such a strong focus on Robb in the show, as his point-of-view was never in the book (only through Catelyn's eyes) so we never got to see his motivations. So it was nice to get more time with one of the characters from the primary family. Even though this wasn't as strong as the first season, it still was amazing to look at and see what the world of Westeros looks like. Plus the Others coming back at the very end was a really awesome moment.

This was the first season that I watched in real time so it was exciting to be able to see everything live and talk about it the day or two afterward. Plus watching the dragons grow up was great as well. Overall, I feel like this served as the lead up to Season 3, which is is probably my favorite season.

No comments:

Post a Comment