Thursday, April 10, 2014

My Favorite Video Games: Mario Kart

File:Mario Kart 64box.png
Source
I have played many iterations of this game including the Super Nintendo, N64 and the Nintendo 3DS. There are so many memories that I have from racing on Rainbow Road and Bowser's Castle, to slowing other players using the assorted powerups. I also remember sneaking into my older sister's room with my other sister to play the N64 version to death. My favorite character to play was always Yoshi (same with in Smash Bros.) and for some reason, I had vehement hatred for Princess Peach as a playable character.

The game basically involves go-kart racing against/with all of your favorite characters from the Super Mario Brothers' series. My favorite power-ups to use are the Red Koopa shells and the Star, which help take out any players that are higher up on the rankings for the race. But the power levels are contingent on your place so it is possible to go from last to first place with enough skills and good power-ups. There are different levels of racing that range from easy to hard and they come in groups of fours, so you always have a chance to redeem yourself and get a higher ranking (if necessary). There are also time trials, vs and battles that help spice up the abilities of the game that make it really enjoyable.

All of this great stuff combined with colorful visuals, nice soundtrack and memorable characters led to immense enjoyment of this game when I was younger and even now. Oh course the competitiveness this game inspired in me was also a plus (I think one game got so intense, me and my sister didn't speak to each other). I just had so many great moments alone and with other people that really set this game apart from others. As I started out my love of video games as a watcher, this led me to really becoming a more active gamer.

No comments:

Post a Comment