Thursday, April 3, 2014

Video Game Madness

This is my weekly segment where I discuss popular video game news from the past week.


Source
Mario Kart 8- The highly anticipated game is finally coming to the WiiU system is will most likely lead to more sales for the struggling company. The surprising thing I learned this week was that Nintendo won't be at this year's PAX East convention next week, which is strange because this would be the final convention prior to the release of the game in late May and would be a great way to build up hype. This game, along with Smash Bros. serve as Nintendo's top sellers, which is surprising that they weren't Day One release for when the WiiU first came out. I still have hope that Nintendo can get it together and not go the way of Sega, but they need to make serious changes before that can happen.

Elder Scrolls Online- Another highly anticipated game from a beloved company, Bethesda hopes that they can follow up the massive success of Elder Scrolls: Skyrim with a completely different type of game that they have done. Elder Scrolls Online, like World of Warcraft and Star Wars: The Old Republic is an MMORPG which stands for Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game and I have heard good things so far. The game releases today but has been available via preorder for 5 days now. I will be playing to see if I want to give MMOs another chance after having computer issues that prevented me from playing previous games fully.

Google Maps Prank- In honor of April Fool's, Google released an update to their Maps feature, which allowed users to try to catch all 150 Pokemon scattered through the map for a full day. I think it was a great marketing tool for Google Maps as many people were trying and stressing to catch 'em all. Apparently, you could also catch the rare Mew, which got many people excited. I'm not sure what will come of this but it does seem like some companies do come up with some great ideas during April 1st, even though they are fake. I would love to see Google do more stuff like this with different beloved series and characters.

Source
Wolf Among Us release- The game that I think everyone should play, Telltale's The Wolf Among Us is set to release it's third episode titled "A Crooked Mile" next week on April 8th. This series is about a group of fairytale characters like Snow White, Beauty and the Big Bad Wolf who were banished from their world and currently live in New York City with glamors to hide their true form. It mainly deals with the Sheriff Bigby Wolf, who is trying to undercover a murder mystery among the Fables. I really enjoy the bright colors and the gritty nature of the game. I also like that it flips typical stories on their head like Once Upon a Time (tv show), so if you like anything like that, I would highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment