Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Pop of Culture

Welcome back and Happy April Fool's Day! Pop of Culture is a collection of interesting/popular news from the past week and my brief thoughts on them.

Source
Frozen Box Office- In more amazing news for this movie, it was announced that Frozen became the highest grossing animated film of all time and holds the title for the first to reach the billion dollar mark for Disney Animation Studios (which is separate from Pixar). It also broke into the top ten of highest grossing films in history, falling between The Dark Knight Rises and the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie (Dead Mans Chest). If you haven't seen it, check it out! It has something for everyone and doesn't have the typical Disney love tropes that make some think its just for women or kids.

HIMYM Series Finale- After 9 seasons, we finally saw the reveals of the time Ted met the Mother for the first time coupled with many scenes from the future depicting what happened to the characters leading up to 2030 (where the Bob Saget narrator Ted is). I won't spoil it since it still hasn't been 24 hours since the end, but I feel a little perturbed by the resolution but I have heard mixed things (people who loved it, accepted it or hated it). I personally felt that it was one of the weaker series finales.


Nine out of 10 customers prefer the Waffle Taco to the Offal Taco.
Source
Taco Bell Breakfast- In the fast food world of news, Taco Bell released their breakfast menu which includes the signature waffle taco (with bacon or sausage), the A.M. Crunchwrap and Taco, the breakfast burrito and the Cinnabon Delights. I've heard positive things about the food although I can't try it myself due to my diet, but I may try it on one of my cheat days just to see what it's like.  I will say, the Cinnabon Delights sound delicious. It's too early to see numbers on the potential success but it is nice to see another company throwing their hat in the ring to give us some more breakfast options.

Wil Wheaton- Finally, in heartwarming news, a video went viral from Denver Comic-Con about a statement from Wil Wheaton when asked about bullying from a young girl. You can see the video and read his reaction here. It is a very powerful speech and its something that I wish someone had told me when I was younger and felt alienated from being bullied. As an identified geek (or nerd), I agree with his statements since I've embraced my love of Harry Potter and Game of Thrones and learned not to care what anyone else thinks (hence the purpose for this blog).

6 comments:

  1. I love Frozen! Especially the song Let it Go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to love everything on your list, well except for the taco bell breakfast since i've never tried it either. Frozen's my favorite Disney movie to date! I'm a huge fan of HIMYM, haven't watch season 9 yet (still waiting to download it)-should i be nervous? I am totally against bullying as well, and a total geek haha. I love Twilight, Harry Potter, and The Mortal Instruments-i couldn't care less about what people think about me-if it makes me silly or uncool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My new favorite - Frozen! I already watched it for the nth time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your list is really awesome. most especially, the movie Frozen. Cannot wait but say you are superb with this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frozen ids definitely a block buster one. And we Filipinos must be proud that the movie theme song Let it Go was written by a fil-am song writer and we must be proud of him, for his achievements and lifting up the Filipino spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the series finale of HIMYM since I felt it was realistic since deals with death, separation and somehow, people do end up with each other.

    ReplyDelete