Thursday, April 17, 2014

PAX Recap Day 2

Here is my recap of Day 2 (the final day of PAX)

Day 2 ended up being my favorite day of PAX because I was actually able to do more on the exhibition floor, which was nice. We took a hotel shuttle to the BCEC around 9 so we could have a chance to see everything that we wanted to. After waiting in the queue for a bit, we were finally let in to a semi empty area, which was nice. I could actually walk around the floor without getting too overwhelmed which was nice. I'm pretty sure there was a Gearbox Software panel (creators of Borderlands) at the same time, which probably contributed to less people on the floor.

Anyway so I literally sat down at the first empty booth I found because I knew it would last. I ended up at this company called Spryfox who were promoting their game called Road Not Taken (their site here). It was such a cool game with awesome graphics and really cute, cartoon-like characters with an interesting premise. Basically you can only move in on direction at a time (up, down, left, right) on a board-type area, while also having to grab things/people to get them through the the next round by throwing or carrying. The added difficultly would be the loss of energy that occurs when you carry objects to move them to different rows/columns. The people at the booth were really nice despite the fact that I died before I could beat the level (I was so close!) and the game was really fun so I will definitely play it again.

Next I stopped at this interesting booth by a company called Proletariat, with their game World Zombination. I gave it a chance despite my strong dislike for Zombies and I found myself really liking the game (I got to play as the humans shooting up the zombies). Basically I got a set of different kinds of humans with different fighting skills (snipers, axes, etc) to place in 5 or six key locations. It's a turn-based strategy game where you can choose to be either humans or zombies with the goal of either protecting a hospital or trying to take it over. I also really liked the colors/graphics of the game and that it wasn't too difficult for someone like me who doesn't normally play strategy games and I actually managed to beat the first level. I signed up for beta so I cant wait to see more of it.

The final game I got to play was from Bootsnake and titled Deadrock Divide. It's a turn-based RPG that is best described as the love-child of XCOM and Faster than Light (FTL). I felt a little overwhelmed with this game but I was having fun playing something completely different. My boyfriend really loved it since it was right up his alley in games he likes to play. I ended up not making it all the way through the level, but the girl at the booth was really helpful with dumbing things down so I could understand how to play this game. I feel like once I work with this game for a bit I could get the hang of it.

After walking around and checking more things out, I geaded over to the GameOverGreggy Panel. If you don't know GOG is a YouTube show featuring Greg Miller and others from the IGN (game news website) site talking about everything random. It was really funny and I was glad to see the guys in person. Afterwards I even got to meet Daemon Hatfield (GameScoop!, IGN News), which I was excited about. I've been getting more into video games in the last 2 years and have been watching a lot of IGN videos so it was cool to feel a part of the video game fandom. Also while walking around I managed to also see Holly and Jessica from Heroes of Cosplay, which was exciting since they are super talented with all of their creations, plus their work at BioWare.

I also got to take a picture with a background Iron Throne from the Game of Thrones Ascent game which was really cool. I do plan on taking a picture with the real Throne one day but it was still cool to see something Game of Thrones related at PAX.

Photo: © www.snapyourself.com
Note the GameOverGreggy shirt.haha

Finally we packed up and got on the road. The exhaustion from PAX easily kicked in and I knew it wasn't going to be as pleasant of a ride back to Maryland. We stopped at this restaruant called Publick House in Sturbridge, Mass were I got this pesto penne. I regret not get the lobster mac & cheese so I am definitely resolved to get lobster the next time I'm in New England. For some reason the traffic was slow going and we didn't make it up until after 10, where I was hoping to be home to watch Game of Thrones live. I needed a whole other day to recover but I had a great time and plan on going back next year for the full 3 days (also I plan on flying because once is enough.haha).


No comments:

Post a Comment